Monday, September 16, 2013

I'm Not a Morning Person!

As I sit here all blurry eyed, killing time before I leave for work, all I can think about is how much I'd rather be sleeping.  Getting up this early, should be against the law, especially for someone like me that doesn't drink coffee!  It's even harder, now that fall is approaching and it's dark out.

I never have been and never will be a morning person, at least not willingly.  The last time I can remember getting up happily, at zero dark thirty, was as a child when I'd get up at seven a.m. to watch cartoons on Saturday morning.  My younger sister and I would get up before seven, wake up my baby brother and change his diaper and then the three of us would happily watch cartoons.  That was a very long time ago.

Now I get irritated if I have to get up early on my days off.  Early to me is any time that an alarm clock is used to wake me up.  I like to stay up late, so a good time to get up is not before 10 a.m.  Now that I've gotten older, aches and pains have set in.  If I can sleep till 9 a.m. that is a good day.  Around that time my back or hip or neck or some other body part starts to protest.  So, if I can get to sleep before 1 a.m. and don't need to get up to use the bathroom during the night, I can get just about 8 hours of sleep.

I don't know where this late to bed, late to get up came from.  My parents were/are early birds.  My younger sister and brother are both early birds, although my brother does like to stay up late too, when not working.  Now my older sister is like me.  She is more of a night owl than I am.  In fact she works nights.  I'm not sure when she ever even sleeps.  I think it's kind of in spurts during the day.  I don't know how she does it!  I think those night shifters are another breed altogether.

I try to smile at those people that wake up all bright and cheery and greet you happily, first thing in the morning.  Little do they know how hard that is for me because I'm still sleeping, with my eyes open, hoping it's all just a bad dream and I'll wake up in a little while still nice and warm in my bed.

No comments:

Post a Comment