Tuesday, September 17, 2013

Good-bye Summer!

As I sit here, in my chilly house, I think about the past few wonderful summer months we've had.  This summer was one of the warmest, sunniest summers I can remember in...well that I can remember period!  Yes, we've had summers, in the past, that have had a solid week of very sweltering  temperatures.  I live in the Pacific Northwest and sweltering to us is usually the 90's and very humid.  Most of us are not used to temperatures like that and do not have air conditioning in our homes.  But, besides that week of hot temperatures those summers were relatively short lived and the good weather never started before July 4th.

This year we were all amazed at how early the warm weather started, especially since the cool weather lasted much later than usual.  We were breaking records as to how many days in a row we had temperatures above 80 and how many days all summer long had temperatures that high.  I loved it!

It's amazing how a beautiful, sunny day can brighten your disposition or energize you.  Okay, I admit I was never very energetic because I'm fat, but I thought energized thoughts!

I could walk out of work, after a particularly grueling day and the minute I stepped outside and felt the warmth envelop me all was bright in the world and I could go home with a smile on my face.  I didn't dare go outside to have lunch, like some of my coworkers, because I knew the minute  I stepped out into that sunshine I would continue on out to my car and drive away, never to come back.  So, I stayed inside in the overly frigid air and looked forward to quitting time.

Now, as the days darken and the familiar northwest rains have returned, I feel summer has slipped away a little bit early.  I miss it already.  But summer has left me with a parting gift!  An end of summer head cold...please pass the kleenex.

No comments:

Post a Comment