Saturday, September 21, 2013

Hello Autumn, Fall or whatever you call it.

Autumn officially starts tomorrow, September 22nd.  I can't say that it's my favorite season because that title goes to Summer but there are many things I like about the fall season.

When I think of Fall, I think of cool days and rain, since I live in the Northwest where we get a lot of rain.

 I think of colorful trees and  falling leaves, which my husband hates since we have a ginormous maple tree in our backyard and it dumps probably about a foot deep of leaves every year.  Come to think of it, our neighbors probably hate that tree too, since a lot of those leaves get blown into their yards by those fall winds we tend to have.

I also think of pumpkin spice breads and muffins. Favorite casseroles that I've been holding off baking until the weather cools down.  Homemade soups accompanied by homemade bread.  I love my bread machine, which I've had since bread machines were popular many years ago.

The smells of freshly baked apple crisp or fall scented candles.

Flu shots and property taxes due. Okay those are not the most pleasant of thoughts, but they did come to mind.

The stores stocked high with Halloween candies and then Christmas items.

Football games, (Go Seahawks!) although I'm just a fair weather fan.  The world series.  (Go Mariners!) Ditto on the fair weather fan.

Time spent with family, since we have a lot of birthdays and Thanksgiving in the fall.

The first frost.  Turning on the furnace for the first time.  Using our woodstove for the first time since spring.
Flannel sheets. Sweaters. Putting away the short sleeves and bringing out the long sleeved tops.

The colors of fall.  Rich reds, oranges, yellows and browns.

Another short vacation from work, since I take quarterly vacations.

These are just some of the things that popped into my mind as I was thinking about the Fall season.  I was also thinking that I wish this cold that summer left me with would hurry up and leave!

***Just a small addendum to one of my other posts.  I remembered with the help of my ever faithful assistant, my daughter Kristen, that I forgot the TV show "Castle" on my favorite TV show post.  That is definitely a favorite and the new season starts in just a few days.  Yay!




No comments:

Post a Comment