Thursday, October 3, 2013

Going to the Veterinarian's office.

I've had multiple cats and dogs over the years.  I've been a good pet owner making sure they're always up to date on all of their vaccinations and spayed or neutered.  Some of my pets have been easy to take to the Vet's and some of them not so easy.  Here's a run down on some of the little guys and how they do on that dreaded Vet visit.

Zeke is one of my pound puppies.  He's always a good boy at the Vet's and usually endures what they do to him rather well.  He really doesn't like the temperature taking but I can't say as I blame him there!  The one thing he does do is bark.  He's a small, barky dog and once we're in the office he barks at the women behind the desk and any dogs that come in.  Once we're taken back into the exam room he barks at any shadows he sees pass on the other side of the door.  Kind of an embarrassing headache but at least he doesn't bite.

On the other hand there's Beans.  He's another small dog pound puppy.  He's a loveable little guy unless you mess with him when he doesn't want to be messed with, like at the Vet's office.  He's my only pet that has ever drawn blood and it was the Vet's.  The problem with Beans is he doesn't give any warning.  He's just standing there looking cute and innocent while the Dr. examines his mouth, ears and so on and then all of the sudden there's a growl and a whomp at once!  They usually take him to the back room and muzzle him.  He also has the tendency to want to take on any animal in the waiting room, especially the really big dogs.
Bean's has just about outdone any other animal in the cost department because he had to have a whole lot of teeth extracted.  That is not cheap!!!  I'm sure the Vet was laughing to himself as he pulled all of those teeth and  thought "You won't be biting me anymore!"  I was not laughing when I heard how much it was going to cost.  *sigh*

Most of my cats are pretty good because we put them in their little cardboard carriers and we're on our way.  We might hear a little mournful howling and meowing all of the way but at least they're not trying to attack other animals.

I've had a couple cats that some how seem to know, days in advance, that it's shot time.  Little Skooter would disappear and not show up until after I'd cancelled her appointment because she was a "No Show".  I think I cancelled her appointments more than any other pet.  I don't know how she knew it but she just did.

Now my big red cat Weasley has turned into a Skooter.  He is our only current indoor/outdoor cat.  He shows up when he's hungry or decides he wants to nap inside on a rainy day.  You can never really know what time of day that will happen, especially on a sunny day.  Unfortunately his last appointment was a sunny day.  We planned carefully and decided that if he came in in the morning for his food we'd just keep him inside until his afternoon appointment and ignore his persistent and increasingly louder meows and howls to go outside.  So we did, only to have the Vet's office call and cancel his appointment 20 minutes before we left the house!!!  I did remain civil, but it was hard!

Another reason I cringe, when we take our pets to the Vet is I never know what I might get a lecture about.  I take that back.  I do know what it will be about.  It will be about an overweight cat.  Our adorable little Bella kitty was a little overweight and my daughter and I had to listen to a lengthy lecture about it.  It didn't help that we are both overweight as well and thought we were being judged because of it.  Now I'm not saying that we were, but sometimes those that are overweight have that mentality.
So today when we had to take our little, well not so little, 1 year old cat Monkey in, we were shaking in our shoes.  Monkey is very overweight.  He is a food bully.  If any other cat wants food Monkey is there watching.  I can glance away for a minute and look back and he's eating the food and the other cat is no where to be found.  Our little chubby cat, Bella disappeared and never returned a few months ago.  My husband thinks Monkey may have eaten her.  I really don't think so, but he is large.  My sister calls him beach ball.  So today we waited to hear the overweight cat lecture...and we didn't get it!  Phew!  Yes, the Dr. did give us a couple helpful hints on weight loss, which we are implementing but Monkey is such a love that they couldn't help but laugh at how cute he is.  Phew, again!!!

So anyways, Vet day is always a surprise one way or another.  When we have to take some of them I feel my anxiety level go up a few notches because I have no clue what's going to happen.  I don't know what I'm going to see because I've seen some yucky stuff coming out of my pets at the Vet's that  I won't go into because I'm trying to erase that from my memory.   I can't always blame my anxiety on the pet.  Sometimes it's the office and the price of what needs to be done to my little four legged friends.  That price is enough to send some into a coma.  I've been close a couple of times.

But overall I thank God for Vets!  They keep my little furbabies happy and healthy.  Well, maybe not so happy in Monkey's case as he searches the house for his food bowl that's safely stored until feeding time.

This is a picture of our sweet,chunky Monkey a year ago when he was a baby.





No comments:

Post a Comment