Tuesday, October 8, 2013

Choosing paint colors. Not an easy task! Remodel part I

We are remodeling our living room for the first time in forever.  We've lived here nearly 30 years and we've painted once and changed carpet once, so this is a big thing.  We have wood paneling on 2 of  the walls, which my husband happily removed this last weekend.
Now for the hard part...choosing a paint color that I can live with until we paint again, which may be a long time considering how long it took this time.  I've decided that I'm tired of the old neutral off white shade that we so often paint our main living spaces.  I want color!
I had pretty much decided I wanted a bright but light shade of green.  While I was sick with the cold crud and being extra lazy, my husband and daughter decided to go to Lowe's.  She came home with several of those little paint color cards.  So many shades of green!  Then my eyes fell on one color.  It was more of a teal color and I thought "this is it!!!".
The next week I went with my daughter to Lowe's to bring home some of those little containers of sample paint so we could paint them on the wall and see what looked best.
When I saw all of the many, many, many paint colors I was in awe!  I swear I heard heavenly music play!
I flitted between all of the color options, looking mostly at the blue greens, until we chose 4 that we decided to  test.
I handed these color cards to the paint mixer employee and she mixed them up in no time and we headed home to test them out on one of the bare walls.
My daughter painted large squares of the 4 colors while I supervised.  We stared at them until we had narrowed it down to our two favorite shades and then we decided on the one we liked best.
Here are the four colors we chose to test.  We decided on the upper left color.

After looking at those paint splotches for a couple of days I suddenly decided I wanted to go back to my original plan of green.  The above colors made me think of a bedroom or bathroom.
Tomorrow we'll choose some other colors and bring home some more samples.  Then I will force myself to choose the color we're going with.  Something light and peaceful like green or maybe the light purples, roses, peaches...so many colors!!!

Stay tuned for more remodeling installments.  It's going to get messy!


No comments:

Post a Comment